The Temporary Work (Short Stay Specialist) Subclass 400 Visa is a short stay visa for people undertaking highly specialised work or they are working in Australia’s interest.
Common Visa Criteria
There are two eligibility streams for the subclass 400 visa. However, all applicants must show that they:
- Have access to sufficient funds to support themselves in Australia
- Have personal attributes consistent with the proposed activity
- Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose
- Meet health and character requirements
Sponsorship or nomination is not required.
Highly Specialised Work Stream
The applicant must show that they intend to work that is highly specialised. This would normally require the applicant to show that they have skills not readily available in Australia, for instance:
- Skills relating to overseas technology; or
- Where the required skill set is in limited supply in Australia
The work must be not ongoing in nature. This means that the activity is likely to be completed within 3 months. A stay of up to 6 months may be considered where there is a strong business case. Workers must not be “rotated” through the same position. If the position requires to be filled for periods longer than 6 months, you should consider a 457 visa.
Work in the entertainment field is specifically excluded from the 400 subclass, unless the production will not be broadcast in Australia or the visit is purely for promotional purposes.
Australia’s Interests Stream
This would typically involve demonstrating compelling circumstances affecting Australia’s interests – such as:
- Major disasters or emergencies
- Impact on Australia’s diplomatic, trade or business interests
- Significant benefit due to the person’s contribution
How do I apply?
The application must be lodged online. You must be outside Australia when applying for this visa.
Can I Include Family Members?
Family members (spouses and children) can be included in your application.
The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia of 3 months, but can be valid for up to 6 months. The visa is subject to condition 8107 which forbids work inconsistent with the work or activity specified in the visa application.