The Temporary Activity Subclass 408 Visa is a short stay visa allowing people to undertake various short-term activities in Australia.
Common Visa Criteria
There are several eligibility pathways for the visa. However, all applicants must show that they:
- Hold private health insurance
- Have access to sufficient funds to support themselves in Australia
- Genuinely intend to stay temporarily in Australia for the intended purpose
- Meet health and character requirements
Sponsorship by an approved Temporary Activities Sponsor is generally required, unless the applicant is overseas and seeking to stay in Australia for 3 months or less. If sponsorship is not required, then in most cases the application must be supported by an organisation or Australian citizen or permanent resident.
To be eligible for a Temporary Activity Visa, you must fall within one of the following eligibility streams:
1. Invited Participants
This stream requires the applicant to be invited by an Australian or overseas organisation to participate in an event or series of events in Australia. Maximum length of stay for this option is 3 months.
This covers situations where the applicant is either:
- Receiving training from a team operating at the national level; or
- Working as an elite player, coach or adjudicator with an Australian team, and has the endorsement of the national peak body for the sport in Australia
3. Religious Worker
Where the applicant is to work full time with an Australian religious organisation
4. Domestic Worker
Where the applicant will work as a domestic worker for a person holding either a Temporary Work (International Relations) Subclass 403 or Temporary Work (Skilled) Subclass 457 visa.
5. Superyacht Crew
For members of superyacht crews.
This covers the following two scenarios:
- Observing or participating in a research project with an Australian tertiary or research institution
- Students at overseas educational institutes involved in research in Australia closely related to their course
Where there is an agreement between an Australian business and an overseas business for exchange of staff between the businesses.
8. School Exchange
This involves a school to school exchange or School Language Assistance Program activity.
9. Special Program
This is where a special program agreement is in effect for youth exchange, non-profit organisation or government agency.
10. Australian Government Endorsed Events
This would generally require the event to be specified by legislative instrument (eg Commonwealth Games), and a particular class of people to be identified (eg coaches or competitors). Unlike the other streams, this option does not require sponsorship and results in a visa of up to 4 years duration.
This stream is for performers and support staff. Criteria differ depending on whether the performance is in relation to film or TV, is for non-profit purposes, or for productions purely for overseas markets.
How do I apply?
The application must be lodged online. You can either be in Australia or overseas when lodging the application.
Can I Include Family Members?
Family members (spouses and children) can be included in your application.
The visa is generally valid for stay in Australia of 2 years. The visa is subject to condition 8107 which forbids work apart from the activity specified in the visa application. You must also maintain your health insurance whilst in Australia.