The purpose of this visa is to allow a parent, legal guardian or relative of a Student visa holder to accompany that student to Australia, and to provide care and support to them whilst they are studying. The student must be either under 18 years old, or have a physical or other exceptional need to be accompanied by an adult. The minimum requirements of this visa are set out below:
As the visa applicant, you must:
· be EITHER the student’s parent or legal guardian OR a relative who is at least 21 years old
· be able to provide accommodation, general welfare and other support to the student, and to any other members of your family who are under 18 years old
· genuinely intend to reside in Australia with the student
· not have any dependent children under six years old (unless there are exceptional circumstances)
· have made adequate arrangements for health insurance during your stay in Australia
· have access to sufficient funds to cover your return airfares and the cost of living in Australia.
The exact amount of funds you will require is set by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP). Please contact us for further details.
The student whom you intend to accompany to Australia must:
· EITHER be under 18 years old OR have exceptional reasons for requiring you to reside with them in Australia (e.g. need for medical care, or established religious/cultural grounds)
· genuinely intend to reside with you in Australia
The student whom you intend to accompany to Australia must either hold a valid Student visa, or apply for a Student visa at the same time as (or before) you lodge your visa application.
When the student’s eligibility has been established, we will prepare and lodge your visa application with the DIBP. The main criterion is that you meet the requirements referred to above, the exact nature of which will depend upon the chosen education provider and student’s passport nationality. You must also meet the relevant health and character requirements.
Once the DIBP has granted your visa, you may accompany the student into (or remain with the student in) Australia. You may not work whilst in Australia.
PLEASE NOTE: The actual time taken by the DIBP to approve an application and grant a visa varies from case to case depending upon your particular circumstances. Each application is unique and the processing time may differ based on your country of origin and even the DIBP case officer assigned to your application.
Contact us if you need assistance with your visa application.