The purpose of the Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) is to promote the economic development of regional Australia by encouraging skilled migrants to settle in these areas. The scheme is designed to assist employers in regional Australia who are unable to meet their skilled workforce needs from the local labour market.
The minimum requirements for the Temporary Residence Transition stream of this visa are set out below:
|TEMPORARY RESIDENCE TRANSITION STREAM
For applicants who have held a 457 visa to work in the nominated position with the nominating employer for at least the last 2 years
The business seeking to employ you must:
· still be actively and lawfully operating a business in a regional area
· have met its training benchmarks as a 457 standard business sponsor
· genuinely need you to continue to work in the nominated position
The position to be filled must be:
· full-time and available for at least 2 years from the time your visa is granted
· the same as (or very closely related to) the position that you have been employed in as a subclass 457 visa holder for the last 2 years
· subject to terms and conditions of employment (which includes the wage/salary) that are no worse than those provided to Australians working in the same position for the same business (or in the same regional area, if there are no equivalent positions with the business)
As the visa applicant, you must (unless a specific exemption applies in any case):
· have held a subclass 457 visa to work in the nominated position (or a very closely related position) for the nominating employer for at least the last 2 years
· have competent English i.e.
o hold a valid passport issued by the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or the Republic of Ireland (and you are a citizen of that country) OR
o an IELTS test score of at least 6 in EACH test component OR
o an OET test score of at least B in EACH test component OR
o a TOEFL iBT test score of at least 12 for listening, 13 for reading, 21 for writing and 18 for speaking OR
o a PTE test score of at least 50 in EACH test component OR
o a CAE test score of at least 169 in EACH test component
NOTE: In each case, the test must have been undertaken within the last three years (with the exception of the CAE test, which must be dated on or after 1 January 2015)
· be under 50 years of age
· meet any mandatory licensing, registration or professional membership requirements
Stage 1: Nomination Application
This application is lodged with the Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) on behalf of your employer, and relates to the skilled position that you have been offered, which must meet the requirements referred to above. Your employer is required to supply documents to the DIBP in support of this application, the nature and extent of which will vary depending upon the particular circumstances of the business.
Stage 2: Visa Application
Your visa application is lodged with the DIBP either at the same time as the nomination application, or within six months of the DIBP’s approval of the nomination. The main criterion is that you fulfil the above requirements, along with the standard health and character checks.
Once the DIBP has approved both applications, you will be granted a permanent visa. You may be in Australia or outside Australia when your visa is granted. You must then work in the nominated position with your employer for a term of at least 2 years from the visa grant date.
PLEASE NOTE: We estimate that it may take several weeks to prepare and lodge your application, with the time taken largely dependent on how promptly you (and your sponsor, if applicable) provide us with the necessary supporting information and documents.
The time that it takes the DIBP to process your application is dependent upon its processing time service standards, and may also vary due to a number of other factors, including the complexity of your case, perceived risk factors and processing priorities. Please contact us for current information regarding likely processing timeframes for this type of application.